Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Cup




We can add to our list of things we have now done (and will do again!)....The Carolina Cup! We got up early this morning and finished packing the car with tables, tents, chairs, coolers, etc. and headed down to Camden for the annual steeplechase event.

When we first got there it was warm and windy, but Ron and I headed straight to College Park and the Vineyard Vines tent. I was hoping for a tee-shirt, which I didn't get, but we did get a whale hat and key chains. Next year, I know to get over there earlier. And, we stopped by the Lilly Pulitzer table where they were giving away cute little photo albums. We got back to our spot, set up shop and then walked over to Elizabeth's where she, Brett, Brian, and Heather were based. We were waiting on Paula, Peggy, Leslie and Meredith --- who got there as the races were starting due to traffic. Over the next few hours though we saw a LOT of people, and a few horses!

The weather deteriorated as the day went on into windy and COLD. I was freezing in my sundress. After a couple of races I decided to walk back over to College Park where some of the Phi Mu's were tailgating. I went in between races while the gates were open and no sooner than I got there did the bottom fall out of the sky. It poured! I happened to find one of the girls and I stayed under the tent she was at for a while, before trying to head back --- only to find the gates were closed as a race was about to start. A very nice guy shared his umbrella while we waited and by the time I got back to our car it had all but stopped raining. Just my luck, I guess! Of course, almost everyone had packed up and traffic was a nightmare, so Ron, Paula, Leslie and I sat in the car with the heat on while it cleared out.

We saw some funny, absurd and interesting sites at the Cup. It was a people watcher's dream!

Despite the weather, it was a really fun time with friends and I think we are all looking forward to next year....with warmer weather.

me and Rhe

my Vineyard Vines whale hat!

Ron FINALLY let me get him a birthday/Christmas/Valentine's gift --- a tent!

after the rain...Paula, me and Leslie

No comments: